Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Smoothie Sailing

Maintaining good health in our busy lives can sometimes be quite challenging, and we've all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gets your metabolism going, and for adults and children alike, it helps our brains function as a more optimum level throughout the day. I'm always looking for ways to build those all important self-care activities into my daily routine and what better place to start that at the beginning of the day with breakfast.

At the beginning of the summer I made a list of 20 things I'd like to accomplish during the course of our triple digit weather. Learning to make really good tasting protein smoothies was one of my goals. For some reason, I was under the impression that there was some health and wellness guru secret to make delicious smoothies. I also thought that it looked like a long, complicated and messy process. I couldn't have been more wrong. It takes me about 5 minutes to make them each morning for Rick and I and we love them. The only hard and fast rule I have to making my smoothies is that I add protein powder, flax meal and a banana to them every day. Because Rick doesn't like spinach, I only add that to the mixed berry or cherry smoothies, cause you can't tell it's in there "Shhh."

Peach~Banana~Citrus Smoothie
 Triple Berry Banana Blast


Cherry~Banana~Vanilla
I use a super simple and flexible recipe for my smoothies. 
I just put a quartered banana in the blender,
Add 3 scoops of protein powder
2 tablespoons of flax meal. 
1 cup of frozen fruit, 
Splash of a favorite juice to desired consistency.

Sometimes a tablespoon of orange juice concentrate or a shot of Monavie and blend till smooth. I sometimes add some cold filtered water to get it to the consistency we like...and ou la...so so good smoothies.This recipe makes about two glasses and provides more than half of your fruit servings for the day. It also provides about 15 percent of your daily protein, all of your omega 3 requirements, and a good amount of other vital nutrients. 


Making smoothies in the morning is such an easy and delicious way to begin my day off knowing I've got a really good nutritional start. The kids will love them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment