Monday, January 3, 2011

A Magical Plant ~ Prickly Pear Cactus

I'm one of those people who believes that where ever on earth we live, life sustaining plants, animals, water, etc. have been provided by a loving Creator :-) and take all the hype about acai, blueberries, pomegranates, etc. with a grain of salt. It's not that I don't believe that these foods have wonderful healthy qualities, it's just that I believe that where ever you live, you will find something similar that grows locally. So this year, I am on sort of a mission to find our local magical plants. As I mentioned yesterday, The Prickly Pear is January's "Ingredient for Life."

Nearly the entire plant is edible, the fruit, flowers, and pads have a wonderful variety of nutrition.

Mini desserts became a passion out of a desire to serve a variety at family functions and later evolved into an attempt to control personal portions while still enjoying rich decadent desserts. My newest challenge is too seek ingredients that are really healthy, really delicious alternatives to the white sugar, white flour phenomenon that dominates our desserts.

Each month this year I will attempt to work with a new, hopefully local ingredient and come up with some fun recipes. This month I'll be researching the Prickly Pear and giving you some information on it's growing habits, nutrient content, culinary usage and hopefully coming up with some fun dishes to share. I'll also be hosting a giveaway with some Prickly Pear fun! I invite you to join me on this fun little adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I hope you find some good recipes for prickly pears.

    ReplyDelete