Thursday, November 18, 2010

Garden Surprises ~ What's purple & white & shaped like an egg?

So I hesitated to pull this beautiful lush eggplant from my raised bed because, even though it too late in the season to produce any fruit, it began throwing these adorable little purple flowers. I loved looking at it and it wasn't hurting anything so I let it grow. A few weeks later I was looking through the plant...just in case :-) and there they were; three adorable egg shaped purple and white striped baby eggplants!
My "Ornamental Eggplant"



Cute little babies, aren't they? Now my favorite way to eat eggplant is, of course, breaded and fried, Southern Style like my dad makes. However, since we are attempting to consume more healthy foods, I'm going to try this recipe I found in a new issue of Woman's Day Comfort Foods...I know, doesn't sound healthy, but you decide. I'm posting the recipe so you can try it too...if you like :-).
Ratatouille & White Beans (served with polenta or crusty bread)
Ratatouille & White Beans

1 medium eggplant (1 1/2 lb)
3 Medium zucchini (1 1/2 lb)
2 bell peppers
2 large leeks, chopped
1 can (28 oz) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 T olive oil
1 T minced garlic
1 t dried oregano
1/2 t each of salt and pepper
1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans
1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
2 T red wine vinegar

1) Cut eggplant, zucchini and peppers into 1-in pieces; place in a 6-qt slow cooker, Add leeks, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, raisins, 1tablespoon oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Toss until well mixed.
2) Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hour or on high 4 to 5 hours until vegetables are tender. Add beans; cook on high 15 minutes more. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon oil, fresh basil and vinegar.
3) Sprinkle with additional sliced basil, if using. Sever over polenta or with crusty bread.

Just in case your interested in the Nutritional side of it: 241 cal, 9 g pro. 40 g car, 10 g fiber, 6 g fat (1 g sat fat), 0 mg chol, 718 mg sod.

Sounds easy enough for one of those crazy week nights. ~ Blessings, Janet

1 comment:

  1. Those little eggplants are A DOR A BLE..... and the recipe sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete